Whether you enjoy winter or desire the warmer months in Wausau, many of us make adjustments to make sure our home’s temperature keeps us content. This can have a huge impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to reduce those energy costs.
- Check weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to pinpoint any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your home warm. Keep them open while the sun is still shining throughout the day, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter regularly to see if it must be replaced. We advocate at least once every three months, but every household is different, so that can vary.
- Install a programmable thermostat – It may seem like just a simple way to make sure your home remains warm, but programmable thermostats can also save money on your heating bill! You can fix temperatures to be lower when you are away from the home or sleeping. It’s just one way to be more efficient and help with energy costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Look to see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a useful tool to decrease the chances of heat escaping.
- Book routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs to have checkups, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will confirm that your system is operating effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more expensive repairs if left unchecked.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to improve efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. The professionals at Gilray Heating and Cooling can help you review the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps reduce the amount of money you are having to spend on heating bills, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide insight on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Gilray Heating and Cooling in Wausau a call to begin. Contact our team at 715-301-0727 or schedule an appointment with us online.