Call it Murphy’s Law, or maybe just a little bad luck, but we sometimes see heat pump troubles in Wausau during the winter time, when they’re required to keep you comfortable. While you know the team at Gilray Heating and Cooling will forever be there ASAP when you need us for a heat pump repair, there are some things you can do to confirm that a repair is needed and save yourself some cash if it’s not. We’ve gathered this checklist of things to try before you give us a call.
- It may sound ridiculous, but make sure everything is turned “on”. We’ve been to several calls only to realize the thermostat or the heat pump itself is set to off.
If the heat pump still hasn’t turned on, revisit your thermostat.
- Is the thermostat turned to heat? If yes, boost the temperature by five degrees to see if it turns on.
- If everything looks accurate, check your heat pump switch (if it has one) and inspect the fuses and circuit breaker that shield the extra heating element (if it has one).
Is an obstruction causing your heat pump to not work?
- Try swapping the battery, if it has one.
- Check your air filters inside your air handler to ensure they’re not jamming things up.
- Are your room heating registers open and clear?
If you’ve worked through this checklist and you still need a heat pump fix, call Gilray Heating and Cooling at 715-301-0727 and we’ll get your home back to the welcoming and cozy place you expect this time of year.